Robert (Bro. Pepper-spray of Reasoned Discussion) (montecristo) wrote,
Robert (Bro. Pepper-spray of Reasoned Discussion)

Salt Point Expedition 2002 August 1 - 9

Day 4

The sun is still out. Sunset over the Pacific Ocean looks really great. We're back, after another day's seaside adventure. Crystal tried the water south of Gerstle Cove today. It was quite a climb, getting down into the rocky cove. Crystal didn't like the chop in this cove, so she got out. Jackie suggested the beach at Fort Ross, down the road, so we loaded up and went down there. Crystal could get out and look around here, but she didn't see any abalone. She did see some interesting fish. Shannon and Jackie played in the surf. I had them take off their shoes and socks and roll up their pant legs after they got soaked anyway. On the way back, I noticed that we were down to a quarter tank of gas, so we stopped to get some. We had to use Crystal's card to get it, because it was then that I noticed that I had misplaced my wallet! Anyway, we put $26.50 in the buggy to fill the tank. Afterwards, we went back to the Gerstle Cove diver change area so Crystal could shower down her wetsuit and get dressed again. Meanwhile, Shannon and I went back to the cove to which we had been earlier, where I had climbed down the rocks and possibly lost my wallet. We didn't find it, but I suspected that I lost it in the tent when I took my jeans off last night. On the way back, two does with fawns crossed the road ahead of us.

After we picked up Crystal and Jackie, I drove everybody back to where we had seen the deer. The deer were still there. When I first saw them, a fawn started nibbling on a bush and it's mother pushed it away. For a second, I thought that maybe it was eating something bad for it and the mother was trying to protect it, but then the does started nibbling the same spot. At any rate, when we drove back, they were still eating. My camera needed reloading, but Jackie got some great shots of the deer, who were close enough to touch.

When we got back to camp, we quarantined Shannon to her tent because her shoes were wet. Crystal made hamburgers. Needless to say, she came well prepared. The burgers were delicious. After dinner, I retreated to the tent, because the wind had picked up so much. I found my wallet, right where I figured it would be, down behind the air mattress. It is COLD this evening, although my thermometer says 50 - 55°F. Nasty wind. I really needed to come out of the tent now, so I can do the dishes while it is still light. It's the least I can do, since Crystal is handling the cooking, and possibly supplying us with abalone, before this trip is out!

We're trying up the coast tomorrow, and earlier in the morning, on the advice of another diver, who mentioned it to Crystal today.


  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.